Tuesday, 1 September 2026

Weaving a flock of sheep: Krokbragd


Krokbragd sheep  using 6/2 cotton

I have tried to weave  sheep using card weaving but I was not very successful.  I thought that I would try a Krokbragd pattern. The weave structure is actually turned krokbragd, which means that the weft is a single colour thread and the pattern is in the colour order of the warp threads. There is no pattern on the reverse as some of the threads float over three picks. 



There are 55 warp ends using four colours, white, black green and blue. The weave is on three shafts. A single shaft is lifted for each pick.  The order is: 1;2 ;1;3  It is very quick to weave.

The first band I wove uses 6/2 cotton and I used the same thread as the weft.  It is possible to use a thicker yarn as weft if you want.


Here is the first band on the loom.  I wove 1.73 metres very quickly and finished the band with a plait at both ends.


The band width is  approx 18 mm







I wove a second band using 16/2 cotton - this time I altered the colours slightly. The weft is 16/2 cotton in blue.



I wove 2.51 metres  The band width is 10 mm.

This method is quick to set up on the  loom and weave.  

Picture of band and the reverse side. 

Sheep in 16/2 cotton. 


Floor Inkle Loom

I thought that I would also try weaving the same pattern on my floor inkle loom.





The threading is more complicated.  Two threads are unheddled between each heddled thread. 

These two warps have to be separated.  Behind the heddles one layer of warp ends have been caught in a clip-it.  The other warp layer has to have a set of heddles in order to raise it through the other two layers. It is important that these two layers correspond to the threads on shafts 2 and 3. This means ensuring that the threads are in the correct order when chosen for the clip-it or additional heddle. i made a few mistakes with the threading at first. 

I started by weaving using a weft thread singly but then I changed to a thicker weft. This means that the sheep will be 'fatter' but the weaving will grow more quickly.

With a single weft, the band is 15 - 16 mm in width.  


Rigid heddle and backstrap.

Well,  these experiments worked successfully so I decided to see if I could use a rigid heddle and backstrap. I made the mistake of using fine wool which tends to catch when changing the shed. 



The two layers of warp go through the slots and are divided by a set of additional heddles in front and a loop of yarn around the other layer behind the heddle. 


Although I managed to weave the pattern, I had made a big mistake in using a fancy heddle which tended to flop and swing.  I rethreaded the warp through another heddle which was not as tall.  This handled with less movement when weaving.

I took it along to our Guild meeting and managed to weave quite a flock.

Weaving at the Guild meeting

Here are the three sheds for this weave structure.

Shed 1: the warp threads through the holes in the heddle


Shed 2: the warp threads lifted by a loop of yarn behind the heddle. These warp threads go through the slots of the heddle.


Shed 3: the warp ends area lifted by means of a set of additional string heddles at the front of the heddle. These warp ends also go through the slots in the heddle.

Shed 3 with string heddles 

I enjoyed experimenting with three different ways of weaving this 'turned Krokbragd' pattern.

I had to  make up my own method of achieving the sheds.  There may be a more efficient way.


Happy weaving

Susan J Foulkes September 2026






No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated before being posted. There will be a slight delay before your message appears.