I needed some new handtowels for the kitchen. I love waffle weave as it is so textured and when used for handtowels very absorbent.
Here is the drawdown.
I used cottolin for the warp and weft.
Warp: cottolin in three shades weft : cottolin
There were 48 groups of 12 ends with one more repeat which was finished with 13 ends.
Total number of warp ends = 576 plus 13 = 589
sett: 24 epi
![]() |
| on the loom |
I love seeing the full length when it comes off the loom.
I tried to measure the handtowels on the loom so that each was 33 inches - which I calculated would be about 25 inches after washing. I was not always as accurate.
I designed different weft colour order to make the three towels slightly different.
There was quite a time gap when they were on the loom and I had not finished the warp. I found that the tension for beating was not the same on the final towel.
Here are the final measurements before and after washing.
before washing after washing
Towel 1 69 cm x 59 cm 53.5 cm x 47 cm
Towel 2 64 cm x 59 cm 58 cm x 47 cm
Towel 3 63 cm z 59 cm 57 cm x 47 cm
I wove a hanging tab for the towels. My husband wanted one of a single colour so that it stood out.
![]() |
| cottolin band on Swedish band loom |
Handtowels in the kitchen.
![]() |
| Three handtowels. |





No comments:
Post a Comment
All comments are moderated before being posted. There will be a slight delay before your message appears.