Wednesday, 1 July 2026

Macrame Friendship Bracelets.

I was in London recently and visited one of my favourite venues, the British Film Institute. In the cafe, I noticed a young man engrossed with his lap top but he was braiding.  I went over to chat to him. He was making macrame friendship bracelets for his friends. 

I had tried macrame many years ago and had been looking recently at a pretty macrame band with a diagonal pattern.  I was thinking of trying to make one myself.  Meeting this enthusiastic and skilled young man has spurred me on to try.

He recommended a YouTube video from Masha Knots who produces very clear and numerous videos on making different patterns.  Here is the link.


Basic friendship bracelets knots. Masha Knots

 https://youtu.be/bClGNDcndMg?si=alcrIVK4dZnNcwbn


I watched a number of her videos on the train journey home and could not wait to start that evening. 

There are four basic knots that she uses for her simple braids - the forward knot, the backward knot, the forward-backward knot and the backward -forward knot. 


My first three macrame knots

I am enjoying the exploration of a different technique. I have been wondering if I could use these knot patterns to finish woven bands.  I usually plait the warp ends together then whip the ends.  


My first macrame bands.

I decided to try a flower pattern - I think that it is known as a daisy chain.  This might be promising as another decorative band end. Here is my attempt.


Daisy band

I like the pattern but I  need to practice this technique. My loops are not even.

I tried a three strand textured macrame band but I was not entirely happy with the result.


I was on a plan recently  so I had prepared some warps for practising macrame.  I was wondering if this is a craft to while away a plane journey.


Attached to the chair back

I also tried clipping it to my handbag on my lap in the airport waiting area. 



Clipped to my handbag

Here is my result. 



It is so much fun trying a different craft.  So much to learn.

Happy crafting.

Susan J Foulkes

July 2026

2 comments:

  1. If you do get into the friendship bracelet world (I taught it to my guild the other year) then there is an online app BraceletBook which is part pattern database, part social like Ravelry but for friendship bracelets.
    I also used the MashaKnots video channel and bought her book for my niece (along with supplies) for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, thank you. I've been spending time this summer learning narrow patterned bands from you, so maybe I'll take a detour into bracelets.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated before being posted. There will be a slight delay before your message appears.