Wednesday 1 December 2021

Simple band weaving for Christmas part 2

 Making Christmas cards with woven bands.


Here is an idea for using woven bands for Christmas cards.  I have an collection of woven bands - left over from projects, samples etc. I tipped out my 'band box' and sorted them into colour groups.  





These are some of my woven bands. They are plain bands, that is there are no additional pattern threads.  These are quick to weave and I enjoy making them.  I often weave a much longer length than I need for a project just for pleasure. 

This was my first loom and it has been in constant use ever since.  


I found the band that was on my Swedish band loom when I bought it from Don Porritt. When I visited his showroom, the band loom had a sample warp on it to demonstrate to visitors how it is used.  I found this scrap of band when I sorted my own bands.   It is made with fine cotton in red black and white. It is 1cm in width.



Making a Christmas card with a woven band.

Here is an easy project for you for Christmas to use up some of your own stash of bands. This band was made in white cotton and blue glitter yarn and is 1cm in width. There are 39 ends in total.





1. Choose the blank card and decide upon the height and width of the triangle shape for the Christmas tree.  Draw the triangle onto graph paper.  This will be the template for the front of the card. 

Choose the woven band and lay it along the bottom edge of the triangle. Mark the top and bottom edges of the band.  


2. Draw a straight line across to indicate the position of the band. Now lay the band further up the triangle and mark the top and bottom edges. 



3. Repeat until you have enough lengths of band to fill the triangle.



4. For this card, I used five strips of band.  The band is fairly narrow.  You could use a wider band and have fewer strips across the triangle. 


5. Take a ruler and craft knife.  Cut the slits at each side of the triangle.  They should be slightly wider than the actual woven band.


 6.Now start to thread the band through the slits. Leave a short length on the reverse side to start.


7.  Here is the card on the front with five strips of band.




8. Here is the reverse side of the card front. At the top, trim the band and tuck in behind the top strips.  At the bottom, use a piece of doubled sided sticky tape to secure the end in place.

Finishing the card.

The front of the card needs to be finished.  Add a decorative star or other item for the top of the tree.  For the base of the tree, use some birch bark or other material to indicate the base. 

Some finished cards. 


I have not yet decided what to put onto the top of the Christmas tree shapes on two of the cards. Perhaps a stick-on star?


I wish you all a very happy holiday at the end of this difficult year. Let's look forward to a better 2022.

Happy Weaving

Susan J Foulkes  December 2021


Handwoven magazine 2022




Do check out the next edition of Handwoven magazine.  I submitted a project about Stash Busting and it was accepted. It is in the first 2022 edition of Handwoven.  My project was weaving tea towels and using up small quantities of yarn.  I am sure that all weavers have a stash which needs using. 

My previous submission was Nov/Dec 2014, Vol 172, no 5, pages 66 - 68.   The Heart of the Swedish Band Weaving Tradition. My hearts and flowers tea towel has been very popular. 

These project details are available as a download at 

https://shop.longthreadmedia.com/products/baltic-hearts-tea-towels 

I was asked about this pattern recently which gave me an idea for my next blog in January 2022. I will be examining how a patterned band can be woven on a multi-shaft loom.  


Happy festive season and I do hope that you have a peaceful New Year. 

Susan







1 comment:

  1. Great Idea! How much room does the band weaver occupy? I might have space for one in my craft room.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated before being posted. There will be a slight delay before your message appears.