My unfinished project was a dyed warp and weft which I had neglected. I had made the warp in sections and dyed it in a gutter. Yes, I do mean a gutter. I bought a 6 ft length of guttering from a DIY store. The warp was folded into the gutter which enabled me to drip different dye colours along its length.
|The inspiration and the woven material.|
My inspiration was a set of pretty coloured shells, but when the warp and weft was dyed I was unhappy with the green shade so it was left as a UFO.
|Dyed weft yarn|
The weft was wound as skeins and dyed green. I had to wind the weft onto bobbins which proved a little more difficult that I had imagined. The dyed silk was sometimes a bit 'sticky'.
My next step was to try to remember what weave pattern I had intended to use as I did not leave myself any notes. I decided on a densely patterned look to echo the textured nature of the shells.
The pattern is for eight shafts but I also used two extra shafts for a plain weave edging. When I looked at the pattern I realised that I needed to make two additional warp ends for each dyed stripe so that the pattern fitted to the coloured warp. The silk wove beautifully.
|The weave drawdown|
Here is the completed scarf. It is difficult to photograph as the colours and texture shimmer in the light.
|The completed scarf.|
I have decided to enter this scarf and also the very first piece I wove. This is a blue and grey wool scarf in 2/2 twill. I can still remember the thrill of weaving and then taking my piece off the loom. I realised that weaving was the pastime that I had been looking for - something so involving and creative that there seems to be no end to the learning.
Susan J Foulkes June 2015