Monday 15 May 2017

Knitting and Stitching Show Edinburgh April 2017

The Spring Knitting and Stitching Show, http://www.theknittingandstitchingshow.com/  is a wonderful place to find yarn and creative ideas. I visited Edinburgh last month and went to the show there.

It was held on the Royal Highland Show Ground near the airport.



There was a free shuttle bus service from the city centre which was very efficient and packed with women of all ages excitedly talking about craft.

I wanted to buy some wool in a specific range of colours.  I usually buy online from McAree Brothers in Edinburgh and I sure that they would have a stand at the show.
The first place I went was to see this display of knitted and crocheted pieces.  I had been speaking to someone on the bus who had helped with this wonderful project.  The Butterfly Garden and Enchanted Wood was made to raise money for a hospice. The helpers had a wonderful time making it and putting it together.  It certainly attracted a lot of attention.

A vegetable patch

I love the sheep and shepherd

I arrived at the show early so that I could have a good look around before it got crowded. This standwas very colourful and was from Latvia.  Their shop is in Riga so it is definitely on my list of places to visit when I go back to Riga next year. On my last visit the National Museum was closed after a fire so I was unable to see their collection of woven bands.


A Latvian stand selling mitten kits


The kits for the Latvian mittens were very stylish and beautifully presented.  I am sorry that my photograph does not do it justice.  I forgot to take my camera so i was relying on my phone. Traditional Latvian knitting is so densely patterned with lovely symbols.  Each of the kits came with a description of the pattern and the area from which it originally came.

I found McAree Brothers but although the stand was well stocked I could not find the combination of colours that I needed.




There was plenty more to see and do.  There was a selection of workshops and talks to attend.  The workshops had a lovely way of advertising their content.  A display on the wall showed examples of items  that you could be making- including a pair of knickers.The workshop spaces were very well organised.  As a visitor you could see in to the workshop space to get a feel for the class.


I went to every wool outlet but still could not find my colours.  I did find an excellent pom pom maker which I bought.  Many belts from Sweden use pom poms to weight the ends.  Although I can make them in the conventional way I liked the simple but effective design of this device. to make a number of pompoms at the same time. I have tried it and it works very well.

making pom poms the easy way.

There was plenty of knitting on show and being demonstrated.  I like the broom stick knitting so I asked if I could take a picture for my blog.  She is not a demonstrator but a visitor like myself who wanted to have a go.  She attracted quite a crowd!







There were some delicate and intricate samples on display.  An inspiration to skilled knitters.



There were many stands selling wool and I visited them all.


Guilds and Societies also were represented.  The stand from the Edinburgh Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers had two spinners working away at their wheels.



I had a great day out.  I had never visited the show in Edinburgh before and it was great to see that it is as well attended as Harrogate and London.

Her are some web addresses if you are interested.

Hobbywool  http://www.hobbywool.com/

Multipom    http://www.multipom.com/

McAree Yarn    http://www.mcadirect.com/shop/


Happy Weaving and if you can, do go to the Knitting and Stitching Show. It is great fun. It is on in October in London, November it moves to Dublin and finishes in Harrogate in late November 2017.


Susan
May 1017

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated before being posted. There will be a slight delay before your message appears.